Skip to main content

Shame on Target!

Target is selling a sweater that has OCD plastered on the front of it. Below the letters it says 'Obsessive Christmas Disorder'. Really Target? You are that insensitive to sell something that completely trivializes and minimizes what OCD is and the devastating effects it has on the people that have it.

Below is the email that I sent to them and the link to their website to contact them if you feel you'd like to do so.


My wife and I spend a lot of money shopping at Target, both in store in online. We use you pharmacy, buy your groceries, buy all the other things that you have to offer. We enjoy shopping at your stores. 

It's extremely irresponsible and inappropriate that you are selling a sweater that trivializes OCD. People will say, 'it's just a sweater'. Well it's not. It's a decision, intended or not, by Target to make fun of and minimize a mental illness that causes severe pain and sufferning for millions of people. I have OCD and it's been anything but pleasant and quite honestly I'm lucky to still be alive but for the grace of luck and great therapists and medication.

I cannot in good faith continue to shop at your stor, online or offline, if cannot see why this sweater is so offensive. Think of what would happen if you trivialized another illness such as cancer or diabetes.

My name is Josh and I have a Target Red Card with you. Take a look at all the purchases we make. I'm all too happy to move all my shopping to Amazon and Costco if you cannot correct your mistake. I hope to hear from you and hope that you come to the conclusion that there's not gain in trivializing the suffering of people that have an illness. If you cannot come to this conclusion, I'm taking our money elsewhere.

Thank you,

Josh




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROCD (Relationship OCD)

Relationship OCD is the term given to obsessions that focus on: fear of getting in a romantic relationship, fear that you are in the wrong relationship, fear that you don't love the person that you are with, fear that having romantic feelings for someone other than your significant other means that there's something wrong with the relationship you are in. By no means is this a complete list of fears but I hope you get the idea. Relationship OCD is something that really bothered me at one time. It still bubbles up from time to time but not with the intensity or frequency that it used to. I remember experiencing a lot of sadness and pain with this obsession. When it first started bothering me, my fiance meant everything to me and I felt so alone and helpless because I had been able to talk to her about what was bothering me. This was so different than other OCD obsessions because I could at least talk to her about them or let her know what was bothering me. With ROCD I felt that

All Obsessions are the Same

The content of an obsession may be more or less fearful depending upon how it brushes up against what you value and/or what you fear. The level of fear you have of the content will result in a graduated experience of anxiety; how intensely and frequently you feel the anxiety. The intensity and frequency of the anxiety that you experience will result in the necessity of performing a compulsion. Mental compulsions are no different than physical compulsions.  How much you identify with emotions and thoughts and therefore how you experience them in your mind and body will be determined with the ownership that you take of the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations.  How you relate to the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations will always have a direct result on the intensity and duration of the OCD loop. When you are able to be the impartial observer vs. being and owning the thoughts and emotions then they become something completely different;difficult for the in