Skip to main content

Luck and the Self Made Man

By the standards of the society that I live in I've "succeeded" at making a life for myself. Before I go further with this, I want to assure you that this is not going to be an egotistical post about myself; far from it. So back to the "succeeded" part. This statement must be taken with a grain of salt for it depends upon the specific time frame that I'm focusing on. There have been many and will be many periods in my life in which I will feel that I have not "succeeded".

Our ideas of what success means differs from one person to the next with no one person owning the right answer. Here's my idea of success. I have a mental illness and most of the time it doesn't interfere with my life. I have a full time job that allows me to provide for my family. Our bills are paid, the house is warm in the winter, we never worry about having enough food or water, we are able to purchase material needs and wants. We don't have to worry about our safety, whether it's at home or when we are out and about.

What has allowed me to "succeed"? I can assure you that it was not simply determination and hard work. Life is complex and we must remember to frame our life circumstances within the myriad of factors that have a profound influence on effecting where we find ourself in life. I am very lucky to have the mom and dad that I do, but let's for a minute imagine that I had grown up in a home with parents that weren't nice to me or perhaps a single parent household in which my mom or dad wanted nothing to do with me. Could that have had an impact on who I'd become and what I thought of myself? When I went off to college and was diagnosed with OCD, had it not been for my parent's health insurance I wouldn't have received the level of treatment that I did and the medication that I needed. Would the absence of this have changed the trajectory of where my life would go? How different would my life be today if I had been abused?

The bigger, rhetorical question is do I really have that much control over the situations that I've described? Of course not. I do have control over how I react to them but then this too is a learned skill that is taught to us by people that care about us and want us to live a happy and content life.

I am lucky to have the family and extended family that I do, to have peace with my mental illness, to have a job that pays me enough to get by on, to have grown up in a loving and caring home so that I too would learn to pass that on to my son as he grows up.

So much of life is purely luck but we like to overlook this fact and think that we are self made. Determination and hard work are important but they are not what make or break you. There's much more at play and we are much more dependent upon our environment, each other, and life circumstances than we are often willing to admit.

The next time someone tells you that someone is in such a rough spot in life because they didn't work hard enough, weren't motivated, or didn't put in the effort; please take the time to question if this alone determined where they find them self at in life at this moment.


Sympathy's easy. You have sympathy for starving children swatting at flies on the late-night commercials. Sympathy is easy because it comes from a position of power. Empathy is getting down on your knees and looking someone else in the eye and realizing you could be them, and that all that separates you is luck.
-Dennis Lehane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROCD (Relationship OCD)

Relationship OCD is the term given to obsessions that focus on: fear of getting in a romantic relationship, fear that you are in the wrong relationship, fear that you don't love the person that you are with, fear that having romantic feelings for someone other than your significant other means that there's something wrong with the relationship you are in. By no means is this a complete list of fears but I hope you get the idea. Relationship OCD is something that really bothered me at one time. It still bubbles up from time to time but not with the intensity or frequency that it used to. I remember experiencing a lot of sadness and pain with this obsession. When it first started bothering me, my fiance meant everything to me and I felt so alone and helpless because I had been able to talk to her about what was bothering me. This was so different than other OCD obsessions because I could at least talk to her about them or let her know what was bothering me. With ROCD I felt that

All Obsessions are the Same

The content of an obsession may be more or less fearful depending upon how it brushes up against what you value and/or what you fear. The level of fear you have of the content will result in a graduated experience of anxiety; how intensely and frequently you feel the anxiety. The intensity and frequency of the anxiety that you experience will result in the necessity of performing a compulsion. Mental compulsions are no different than physical compulsions.  How much you identify with emotions and thoughts and therefore how you experience them in your mind and body will be determined with the ownership that you take of the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations.  How you relate to the thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations will always have a direct result on the intensity and duration of the OCD loop. When you are able to be the impartial observer vs. being and owning the thoughts and emotions then they become something completely different;difficult for the in